Cambridge Cemetery is situated 3 miles west of the university city of Cambridge, England, on highway A-1303 and 60 miles north of London. By automobile from London it takes less than 2 hours. Cambridge may also be reached by railroad from King's Cross and Liverpool Street stations. Travel time is about 1 hour; train service is frequent. Taxicab service is available at Cambridge station and there are excellent hotels in the city.
The site covers 30.5 acres in total and was donated by the University of Cambridge. It lies on a slope with wide prospect; the west and south sides are framed by woodland. The cemetery contains the remains of 3,812 of our military dead; on the Tablets of the Missing are recorded the names of 5,127 who lost their lives in the service of their country, but whose remains were never recovered or identified. Most of those died in the Battle of the Atlantic or in the strategic air bombardment of northwest Europe.
From the flagpole platform, near the main entrance, the great mall, with its reflecting pools, stretches eastward; it is from this mall that the wide, sweeping curve of the burial area across the green lawns is best appreciated. Along the south side are the Tablets of the Missing; at the far end is the memorial with its chapel, its two huge military maps, its stained glass windows bearing the state seals and military decorations, and its mosaic ceiling memorial to the dead of our air forces.